I was in Publix tonight looking for more of those wonderful grape tomatoes that were on sale for $1/pint. When I couldn't find them, I asked the produce manager and he informed me that there was a recall on some tomatoes, so Publix decided to pull the grape tomatoes as a precautionary measure. He also told me that they plan on offering that sale again in the very near future, or I could get a rain check. I'll just wait and enjoy some of my own home-grown, salmonella-free tomatoes in a few weeks.
Here is my recipe for the Black Bean Salsa that was on our salad of several days ago:
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (I used red)
- 2 Tbsp chopped picked jalapeno (I throw in a little extra jalapeno pickle juice or vinegar)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about the amount of juice from one lime)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeno peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, lime juice and olive oil. Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Chill before serving.
Serves 6 to 8.