I like to give credit for the recipes, especially since this one is not my own. I found it at Recipezaar. I have been craving it for weeks, and I am not especially fond of any kind of cooked fruit! I tried to be diligent and respond to a post on our local craigslist.org for free pears being offered before the freeze, but the lady never responded to me. I purchased some pears at a 99 cents/pound price. I did learn a lesson about purchasing something for a specific recipe: hide it! My fruit foragers of the family devoured my pears in one day! I grumbled a little bit when I noticed this, because I had already combined the pineapple with the sugar and lemon juice...no turning back now! I improvised and used apples instead, but the result was still scrumptious!
- 3 lbs fresh pears, peeled,cored,and finely chopped
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a 6 quart stainless steel kettle combine all ingredients.
- Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Simmer 40 mins.
- Spoon into sterile jars, leaving a 1/2 inch head space.
- Wipe jar rims, adjust lids.
- Process in boiling water for 10 mins.
- Makes 7 half pints.