Monday, November 17, 2008

Pear Honey...well, kind of


I like to give credit for the recipes, especially since this one is not my own. I found it at Recipezaar. I have been craving it for weeks, and I am not especially fond of any kind of cooked fruit! I tried to be diligent and respond to a post on our local craigslist.org for free pears being offered before the freeze, but the lady never responded to me. I purchased some pears at a 99 cents/pound price. I did learn a lesson about purchasing something for a specific recipe: hide it! My fruit foragers of the family devoured my pears in one day! I grumbled a little bit when I noticed this, because I had already combined the pineapple with the sugar and lemon juice...no turning back now! I improvised and used apples instead, but the result was still scrumptious!

Pear Honey
  1. In a 6 quart stainless steel kettle combine all ingredients.
  2. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally.
  3. Simmer 40 mins.
  4. Spoon into sterile jars, leaving a 1/2 inch head space.
  5. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids.
  6. Process in boiling water for 10 mins.
  7. Makes 7 half pints.
Just a note: In my opinion (and I have a terrible sweet tooth too), this is way too much sugar. I would reduce it to 3 1/2 cups the next time. I only made 1/3 of this recipe, because I'm not into canning preserves and had none of the canning supplies (I usually make freezer jam!). Therefore I only went through step 3 of the recipe.

No comments: