Sunday, April 20, 2008

Going Mediterranean

We all have those friends in our lives. You know the ones who inspire us with their motivation or talents? Today I was reminded by the thoughts of one such friend...I need to eat right. Learning about nutrition is something that I enjoy doing. I don't always hop on the latest trend, but I do know a good diet when I see one. On the menu this week: we are going Mediterranean. Our top foods, according to the Mediterranean Book (as well as other successful campaigns like the South Beach Diet) should be:

  1. TOMATOES – cooked, they are rich in the antioxidant lycopene
  2. OLIVE OIL
  3. RED GRAPES
  4. NUTS - full of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
  5. WHOLE GRAINS (fiber!)
  6. FISH (or fish oils, as my case may be. I cannot find a decent, mild fish in this area!)
  7. BERRIES (blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, any berries!)
  8. GARLIC
  9. SPINACH (we like this raw, but we'll eat it steamed also)
  10. ORANGES (rich in folic acid, and vitamin C) this week, we'll be doing lots of lemons!

No comments: